The efficiency of sea ports in Pakistan has long been a subject of deliberation, with various initiatives undertaken to improve their performance. In line with these efforts, the Pakistan government established the National Logistics Cell (NLC) in 2020, aiming to enhance logistics and transportation across the country, including sea ports’ efficiency. Moreover, projects like the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) have been initiated to foster Pakistan’s connectivity with the rest of the world. The development of new ports and expansion of existing ones, under the umbrella of CPEC, signify the government’s commitment to addressing the challenges faced by Pakistan’s sea ports in terms of competitiveness and efficiency.
To shed further light on these matters, our webinar aims to explore the current state of sea ports in Pakistan, identify areas for improvement, and discuss strategies for enhancing efficiency. We will delve into topics such as customs performance, infrastructure quality, and overall port efficiency, taking into consideration recent statistics and data. Furthermore, we will examine specific case studies, including Karachi Port Trust’s cargo handling trends and the progress of Gwadar, a pivotal warm water deep seaport under development.
The webinar will provide a platform for industry experts, government officials, and stakeholders like yourself to share experiences, exchange best practices, and collectively brainstorm innovative solutions. By leveraging the collective wisdom of participants, we aim to outline actionable steps that can be taken to unlock the full potential of sea ports in Pakistan.
We genuinely believe that your valuable insights will contribute to the success of this webinar. We kindly request your participation and encourage you to share this invitation with other relevant authorities and professionals who may find this event beneficial.
Expected Points of Discussion:
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE) aims to discuss in this webinar the following concerns:
- What are the current challenges faced by Pakistan Sea-ports?
- How can we increase Throughput and Berth Productivity in future?
- Why do we face difficulty in decreasing our Dwell time?
- According to Economic survey of Pakistan our ports have increased turnaround time from 4 days to around 2 days; what were the leading factors that helped us to improve?
- Are we capable of competing with the most efficient sea ports of the world and is it possible to be an active part of global supply chain?
- Will China utilize our ports and shipment facilities for trade or will it appoint its own people and use Chinese ships for trade in CPEC?
- Are we capable of using the full capacity of our Sea-ports?
- Compared to International Sea Ports, where do we stand and why?
- What do you expect from the government to help increase ports efficiency?
- What are your suggestions to overcome the challenges?